CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Thursday, July 5, 2012

Sight Word Program

I love my organization for Sight Words. I have them separated into colors. They are organized into the order that I feel works for reading and writing simple sentences into more complex ones. Each sight word has a book to go with it, and the books get harder throughout the order. I have gotten loads of compliments on my sight word books mostly because of the last page (the homework page).

The units are color coordinated, so I know when I am moving on to the next set. This helps me identify which students need to work on which set of words. It makes it super easy when I parent randomly shows up to help...  I Just pull out my students who are slightly behind the class set and they get to work on the words in that set with flashcards, reading the books, or playing a game with those specific words.  Check out pictures of the color coordinating idea on the Color Coordinated Sight Words post.

Unit 1: like, my, see, a, and, have, do, to
RED (Everything I make for unit 1 sight words is in red for a quick grab.)
These words were chosen first to teach because they use these words first in sentence writing for their journals and opinions.

Unit 2: is, the, he, she, play, go, can, you, said
(I teach be and me with he/she although they are not my focus sight words... I use this to introduce how great word families can be!)
ORANGE
These words connected well with the first set and within other words in this set.
I also teach his with the word is.

Unit 3: on, with, will, for, are, was, has
YELLOW
I teach -as- with the word -has-. I actually teach has and was the same time and don't connect a letter to one of them.. I usually review is, has, as, has and was at the same time because we read all the words regular until we get to WAS and we read it with a deap voice since it is different from the others, but still has the /z/ sound at the end. My students love reading WAS with a deap voice in their regular reading after that.

Unit 4: very, no, yes, that, of
Green
This unit is very small, but it concludes my specific reviewing of all the letters again. (I will continue review letters, but the ones any student behind still needs to learn or the letters that need help writing still.)

Blue unit: In this unit I teach more words, but also review digraphs and dipthongs in story writing. It gets a tad harder, but it uses word families in stories.

Words: here/there, who/what, from/all, because/your, they/when, would/which, way/make
Other: /ee/, /ew/, /oi/ and /oy/, /ar/, /au/, /aw/, /ow/
The order of these change according to what I feel the class needs.
The other sound stories are for group reading and then sent home as homework with questions about the story - just like the sight word books, but more complex.

No comments:

Post a Comment