CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Saturday, October 29, 2011

Brown Bear, Brown Bear Idea

I start the year by reading the popular "Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See?" by Bill Martin Jr and Eric Carle. We use the book as a Shared Reading and to practice colors. The first week of school, I take pictures of students and place them in a class book called Kindergartner, Kindergartner, What Do You See? (This idea was shared with me by my mentor and friend Stephanie P.) I read the book to the class with the similiar repetitve phrase. The students get to stand up when their name is read. This helps them learn each other's names! Plus they love seeing their picture! (PS - my students read that book every chance they get!) 

As the students become familiar with the repetitive phrasing, I then give my students their very own book. The book is Kindergartner, Kindergartner, What Do You See? except that the book allows them the chance to trace the color word 3 times, plus color the picture on the page. Then they enjoy reading their books to each other and taking them home to share with parents.

I have made title pages for Pre-schooler, Kindergartners, 1st and 2nd graders. I have posted Kindergartner, Kindergartner, What Do You See? on TeachersPayTeachers available for purchase. Click here to access it. (It is under Like Brown Bear, Brown Bear) I will post the student book template on TeachersPay teachers soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment