CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Snowmen Ideas

To get my students back in the groove of centers and school after our winter break, I am going to do several snowmen activities and homework assignments that first week. I know I could probably find LOTS of ideas, but I am only doing snowmen for 1 week. Then I move onto my Gingerbread Unit.

Here are a few items, ideas I have found or made.

Math
Snowmen number and pasta snowflakes
Snowmen tally marks (matching I made)
Snowmen ordinal numbers (matching I made)
Snowman ordinal numbers page  (found in a book)
Place Value Snowmen Spinner Game

Snowman Graph - the students use white circles (pre-cut or they cut themselves) and write each letter of their name on 1 circle. They then spell their name vertically. I have my students glue their snowman all on the same long strip. They then can draw their hat and arms and what not. You can use this graph for graphing questions and comparing names. I believe I saw this on pinterest.











Reading and Writing
Listening center (books about snowmen)
Snowman at Night Book: Write and draw what they would do if they were a snowman at night. Can be used on art of a snowman at night or used on pages to create a book.
Choose 2 snowmen books and read them to the class. Have the students write an opinion writing about which book they liked the most. I require my students to write two "I like..." sentences.
1. I like (title of the book).
2. I like (the reason or part).
My snowman has page. I really liked the idea from msmcbeeskinderbugs.blogspot.com, but needed different tracing letters being I don't teach my students writing with curves. My example shows the students that they can write how many circles are on the snowman or the color of his buttons.
Snowman Blends  This is a great game to play to practice blends!

Phonics
Snowmen Word Families - I have my kids play a word family game with snowmen found from HeidiSongs.


Art
Snowman Painting - First, the kids trace lids (overlapping) to form snowman. They paint their body. 2nd day: they paint the snowman's eyes, nose, mouth, and buttons. Last day, the kids use a black rectangle and square to form a hat. They also use thin strips of brown for arms, they draw the fingers on if they want.  The students also use little rectangles in red and green to form a scarf around the snowman's neck.  Next year I would like to use the elmer's glue idea for 3D appearance.  IDEA:  Mix in some epson salt really well and then the snowmen will sparkle!









Snowmen at Night: Students using little squares of white paper to form the face of the snowman on a black or dark blue construction piece.  If you want to connect this activity with Snowmen at Night book, then the students can draw snowflakes and a moon to show nighttime.  At the bottom they attach their sentence about what they would do if they were a snowman at night.  If found this cute idea here.

Marshmallow Snowman
Use marshmallows to paint and design your snowman!  Large marshmallows for the body and little ones for forming eyes, mouth, and buttons! I loved the idea she had of using salt in the paint on one of her snowmen... however, I think I'll do that with my elmer's glue snowman!

No comments:

Post a Comment