CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Sunday, April 1, 2012

Plants

Plants? Plants. Plants!

I bought the Pebble books to use throughout my unit, but it is not necessary.
As you keep reading below. If you are interested in this unit here is the link. Plants? Plants. Plants!
The link can also be found at the bottom.

What we know about plants: shared writing

Art project: I designed this art project to add to the parts of a plant as we learn about it. I liked the 3d aspect of it.

I teach 1 new part of the flower every day, so I don't overwhelm too much in 1 day.
1. Teach roots
2. Teach stem
3. Teach leaves (and veins)
4. Teach flower
5. Teach seeds

Every day the students add their plant information on with their addition to their art project.

These make for adorable classroom and hallway decor.











Flower Plant Book: Fill in the blanks to recap what they learned.

Flower Art Project and Expanded Sentences Activity:
This is where I teach that flowers have petals. (more vocabulary)


Trees and Art Project! I do this art project just to teach that trees have branches. We also talk about how sometimes we can see tree roots while sometimes we can't. I show them lots of pictures (via powerpoint) of various types of trees. Kids love to see different trees! This is a good time to also talk about how trees help us. (My class did posters for Earth Day telling how trees were helpful - a contest schoolwide/state too.)

Yum! Plants We Eat!  I can't find pictures from these activities, so I am guessing I forgot to take some. We did a lot of activities with this part. They are in my unit.

Growing Plants and Plant Journal: Students plant lima beans and watched them grow!  They record the growth in their journals.


We also talking about building/growing patterns where a pattern grows by one every day. (Part of the math curriculum we needed to teach)  I told and showed the students about a stem growing every day... then they did their own art project with it.



















PLANT UNIT ON TPT

2 comments:

  1. I love this art project! I can't quite tell how you did the coffee filters - they have a tie dye effect. Also, are the veins on the leaves and the roots just dried glue?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry I haven't responded sooner! I don't have any followers, so it was such a shock to see someone on here besides me. :)

      I do love this art project too! (Thanks)

      Coffee filters - students use 1-2 colors and draw with markers. Then I lay them out and spray them with a water spray bottle till damp (only a couple sprays is fine because the water spreads). Let dry and then they turn out like this! I squeeze the middle of the filter and glue that to the paper.

      The veins/roots: I use the 1/2 empty glue bottles and add green/brown paint to them. Then SHAKE, SHAKE, SHAKE!

      I ask that if you repeat this art project and/or post online anywhere, that you give me credit back. I would appreciate that!

      Delete