CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Sight Word Ideas

Some games and activities to use with sight words.
Sight Word Pointers: (an idea shared by another teacher in my district)
Students get their own sight word stick that they get to take home and practice reading with it.
Example: Sight word stick says "the" and they point to items and read "the table," "the book," "the mom."

Sight Word Kaboom/Tic Tac Toe Class Games:
I have these in my units already organized in the order I have my sight words. Great filler or reward games.  These are top games choices when we have extra time or have an older student coming in for a few minutes.

Sight Word Journal: Read more about this under journal. I like how I connect my sight words with their journals. I also think the introduction of journals is pretty helpful for the kids who fight writing or think they can't write.

Sight Word Alphabox Detectives: Students fill sight words in the letter boxes. (or any other words they know how to read.) I give my students the alphabox and a handful of books. They get to use magnifying glasses to find the words.

Sight Word Hunts: The copies for this quick and fun center are in my units. Print the sight word you're learning and post all over the room. Students grab clipboards, fun glasses, and their page and pencil and start their search for the sight word. STUDENTS LOVE THIS!  It is super easy of a center and the kids don't get tired of it.

Sight Word Writing Worksheet:  I don't believe in a lot of worksheets for kids. I think they are boring and too much paper. However, I do think kids need practice writing their sight words and HeidiSongs has some gread worksheets to help practice. I believe in her books each sight word has up to 6 pages for that word, but I only choose 2 pages as to not overload my students.

Sight Word Card Games: You can find or make LOTS of other card games with sight words such as matching. There are so many other ones that I use that I have gotten from TPT that are just so creative that go with the holidays. There are too many holiday varieties, that I won't be listing them all.

Sight Word Slap It: My kids love this game.  Write a bunch of words on the white board. Pick 2 people to come up and "slap it" - the word you say. The students get to hold a fly swatter and the first one to slap the correct word gives their team a point.  This is the same as my table slap it except with fly swatters.

Sight Word Bird Hunt (I posted these parrots all over the school and a parent volunteer took them on a bird hunt around the school. The students wrote down the sight words as they found them!)





No comments:

Post a Comment