CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Friday, February 17, 2012

Calendar Challenge

In our Kindergarten, the kids should learn the days of the week. Doing calendar every day will help this. After regular calendar, we sing the Days of the Week song. About half way through the year, we add to that song and sing the months of the year song. Something I should have started early is our Calendar Challenge. My students look forward to it. Probably because I give them my "questioning" look and I say: "Are you ready for your calendar challenge?" (Of course, I add in a couple eye brow raises.)

Calendar Challenge: I ask them to point to where we find the month, show me 1 day on the calendar, and show me a full week on the calendar. I will also ask how many days are in a week. Plus, I ask the student to point to today and then slide their finger up to find what day of the week it is. We look at the word and try to figure it out based on the first few letters.  Now that my Kinder Kids are getting these concepts, I will be adding to our challenge questions such as what day is before or after. I will also ask how many Mondays we've had in the month. Find the first day of the month, what day did the month start on.

I definitely ask the same basic questions to all my students, but those that can handle more or need of a challenge rather than a review are given one according to how I feel they will still feel successful.

No comments:

Post a Comment