CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Thursday, July 5, 2012

Dr Seuss's Birthday Party + plans!

On Dr. Seuss's Birthday (or nearest date) - I plan a day filled with Dr. Seuss books and activities.

The books are placed up front and the parents come up to switch their book with another book and activity. This is really nice if you have multiple copies of one book, but if not just plan an extra activity that they do, so there is always 1 activity there. I give my parents a time cap for an activity that they need to try to stay within to complete all activities. I also had an extra box of Dr. Seuss books that could be read to the students while they waited after finishing all their activities.

We only do 3-4 books for the celebration, then I use the other books throughout the next 2 weeks.

2. Fox in Socks --  I put rhyming cards in random socks and the group works together to match the rhyming words they found inside the socks.
*  Rhyming Socks
*  Socks Math Page   (greater than/less than)

3. 1 Fish 2 Fish -- 2 books available + 2 parent helpers (if possible)
* Students own book cover
* Fish hands
* Goldfish count = tens equation
Sort those goldfish and graph 

4. Lorax
*Lorax mustache
*Lorax treat

5. Green Eggs and Ham
*Green Eggs balance game - balance green eggs in a spoon across the rug
*Eat green eggs and write opinion 
* Fill in the missing words in the paragraph

6. Foot Book 
* Feet numbers (trace around their own feet, cut out, then we write a number on each foot and see how many feet in the classroom. Then we post the feet along one of the walls.)

7. Horton Hears a Who
Video
* Draw Self Portrait - A Person's a Person No Matter How Small
* Take student's picture and put in on a Speck!

8. Wocket in my Pocket
*Class makes -ocket words together and then write the sentence on their pocket.
   "There's a _ocket in my Pocket" 
* Create their own _ocket with paper

9. Apples Up On Top
* Apples up on top self portrait
* Apples up on top math paper

Daily 5 activities:
Green Eggs flip game 



Self Portraits! I print a head template because my students give me better portraits when they have a template.  On the back, I printed the following quote from Dr. Seuss:                        A persons a person no matter how small!
My students were asked to wear a red shirt. They all got to wear a THING #.  We had 20+ THINGS in our classroom and it was a lot of fun. Next year, I am going to try for blue hair ...       As the teacher, I got to be THING TEACHER.

Next year, I'm going to ask my Room Mom to set up Dr. Seuss treats -
I think we'll be using Pinterest for some ideas!


No comments:

Post a Comment