CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Thursday, July 26, 2012

Fun Alphabet Flashcards

I was really bored teaching the alphabet to the kids and really needed something interested if not for the kids, but for me! I try to teach using as many connections as possible for the different types of learners. My alphabet cards are hand drawn (uppercase was done by a former 5th grade student). The picture gives a visual of the picture plus it triggers the action which then triggers the sound. This incorporates visual, kinesthetic, and auditory learners.

I personally am not a fan of connecting the letters to pictures of something that starts with the sound because that is hard for students with low vocabulary or students who are ESL. Most kids know animal names, but that still doesn't completely work for ESL students if they can't identify the English name for the animal. With all this in mind, I decided to just listen to the sound and see what comes to my mind. The actions correlate with the sound that triggered in my mind and I tried to use the trigger action/sound that best related to the letter and would be more commonly connected.

The kids love practicing to these letters and it helps all types of students. I have never had so many parent compliments about specifically something I teach - but these I am overloaded with in just the last 2 years.  I am amazed how many students still use the actions when be tested on their letter/sounds at the end of the year!


I have two downloads for these. 1. Fun Alphabet Flashcards: A black and white version that still need to be colored   2.  Fun Alphabet Flashcards Colored:  A packet of black and white plus the colored copies

No comments:

Post a Comment