CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Thursday, July 5, 2012

Color Coordinated Sight Words


Colored cans... student names get switched over to the colored can of the sight words they are practicing. These cans are used for my knowledge, but also for those parents and other volunteers that show up unexpected. I tell them which colored can to pull students from. If it is the orange can, then they can do the orange sight word flashcards and the orange books.

Colored Flashcards:
I make a teacher set of my sight words on their coordinated color. This way I just grab the color I need to teach or grab the color we need to review. If you don't want to use your teacher set of flashcards for student use, you can make a separate set with paint sample cards -- super quick and easy --- they will be worn down, but that is ok to me... better those than my flashcards.


Sight Word Books color coordinated with ribbon.
If a student still needs practice reeading from the yellow group, then a parent helper or other volunteer knows which books to practice reading from (so I don't have to spend time explaining and getting the books for them.)  All my sight word books are in my Sight Word Sets 1-4.

Sight Word Sticks:
You can use these sticks in a variety of ways. I write my sight words on the correct color stick to match the set they are in. You can use the sticks for all sorts of games.  Matching, KABOOM (sight words not sentences), Drop Sticks, Build a Fire (students pull sticks and if they can read the sight word, they keep the stick and get to build a fire), Guess my Word (students give clues to the word on their stick), and I am sure their are plenty more!
Sight Word Poems: in colored files 
I have these printed and organized according to each sight word. I need to switch the words to the correct colored files and tabs for the sets. Yet another practice parents can pull and practice with students. OR I can send these pages home with students for homework or use in my groups. Differentiate!

My Tic Tac Toe pages are printed on their correct set color.

BINGO game boards are also printed on their correct set color, so during centers the adult or myself can differentiate the groups and practice the words that that group is practicing. All kids get to play BINGO, just with the correct words they are reviewing! Plus it is simple to write down which group is on which color for the adult helping at the BINGO center.

Fluency Cards: My words are printed on the correct color (plus they have some review words from previous sets). All the colors are in the chair pockets. Each group knows which color they need to pull out when it is time to do fluency practice, so I don't need to get it out or try to figure out which groups need which fluency cards.

Sentence Strips: The sentences are similar to the KABOOM sentences. They focus on the words in the color set and words from previous sets. Sentences are on the color strip so I know which set they belong to.





No comments:

Post a Comment